Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Bake 52: Week 16


This week we baked Strawberry Rhubarb Pie.  Only I couldn't find any rhubarb at the stores yet, so I baked a Strawberry Pie! I don't think I've ever had a baked strawberry pie - only the cold ones, you know, with all the red gelatin around the strawberries in an already made crust? Yep, that one.  Well I was dying to have a strawberry pie in a real pie crust so I was really excited for this week.

I loved that I finally learned how to make the edges of the pie pretty - and it was so much easier than I have always thought! However, I wish I would have sealed the edges better because some of the filling leaked out during baking - just added a little color though, nothing too devastating.

The recipe also had you soak the strawberries and sugar for an hour to let the extra juice drain out so the pie wouldn't be soupy.  I saved this juice to pour over the finished product with ice cream....YUM!


Check out Valerie's Blog for the recipe!  I would definitely recommend trying out this pie crust!

5 comments:

  1. Very pretty pie. I am glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good! Good idea to save the liquid and pour over the finished pie. I saved mine, and I'm thinking I'll make some strawberry syrup one of these mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle that looks awesome!! I love the crust, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks delicious! and that was a brilliant idea to save the liquid, it was a horrible feeling to throw it away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, great job on the pics, it looks so good! Um, where was my share of that yummy reserve juice? :)

    ReplyDelete