Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Bake 52: Week 14


Who doesn't love a Tres Leches cake? What is not to love? Cake. Heavy Cream. Sweetened Condensed Milk. More Cream. Oh - and this recipe even has you cook the sweetened condensed milk to make dulce de leche. Ok, you had me at Tres Leches. 
I thought I would be so nice this week and make a gluten-free cake, not only for my husband, but for my sister-in-law who was in town visiting. I was so excited with this recipe and the steps. Somehow, my flour substitution didn't go so well (you never know what you're going to get when you go gluten-free!). My batter was very runny, but I baked it anyway. It did bake up nice and absorb the milk mixture nicely. However, the middle of the cake was super dense and dry. How could it be dry when I poured that much milk on top of it? BUT the edge pieces of the cake were marvelous (especially the next day). For some reason, the cake around the edges turned out perfect and absorbed the milk like it should. Kris and I ate all of the edge pieces (one bite at a time.  How did those bites add up to half a cake?!?) Saturday while we worked on putting in a kitchen floor - it's what got us through! One tip - this cake goes really well with diet coke! (OK, really, what doesn't?) So - I will definitely try this again. I have baked a GF Tres Leches before and it turned out great, I just messed something up on this recipe. Definitely have to do a redo. This recipe was fabulous and I'm glad it was chosen! Check out Amanda's Blog to get the recipe!
My sister-in-law gave it two thumbs up (thumbs get cut off when you use a camera on your phone).  Unfortunately, this was before she actually tasted it. And she got a middle piece.  Sorry Julie!

3 comments:

  1. I tried to comment before but my computer hates me, sorry if you end up with two for some reason! The cake looks great, sorry the gluten free didn't really turn out. That is weird that the middle was the problem! Glad you have a recipe that you like though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so good! I'm glad you liked it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake looks great. LOVE the picture of the two thumbs up. Cute.

    ReplyDelete