Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Bake 52: Week 25

I have weird fascinations with numbers, so I will just admit how nerdy I am that I got totally excited that this week it's 52:25 - cool, huh?  :)
So for this cool week we got to bake Southern Skillet Cornbread
I was really excited about this pick because it is a gluten-free cornbread - and looked oh-so-delicious in the book!  We love cornbread around here and I've been on the search for years for the perfect GF cornbread - the flour substitutes usually make it dry and crumbly.
This one was great!!  I learned from the book that the difference between Northern and Southern cornbread - apparently Southern is less sweet but with no flour and Northern is sweeter and with flour.  I do want to bake this again and add a little sugar - just to give it a little bit of a sweeter flavor, but even without, it was really good.  And the texture was great - really love this recipe!
Who can resist warm cornbread with honey?  Mmmmmm!
The only thing I was baffled by is that my bread wouldn't come out of the pan after I baked it.  I thought with as much oil and butter as we put in the pan, it would fall right out.  I will have to try a different pan next time, I'm anxious to see what everyone else baked it in and how it worked out.
 I served it with soup for dinner and the fam loved it!  Can't wait to try again!
Check out Jen's Blog for the recipe!

inlinkz codes for the week 1

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad someone liked it!! Yours does look pretty perfect!! Thanks for trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you guys liked it too! And what a bonus that it was gluten free! Thanks for thinking of that number thing, it's totally cool and not needy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks perfect. We really liked it too. Fun recipe.

    ReplyDelete