Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Bake 52: Week 6

This week the pick was CHALLAH!
If you're like me, you're asking yourself right now what challah is.  When I saw it on the list I thought it sounded really cool, but had to run to get my cookbook to see what we were making!
Here is what it is...
Bread! 
But not just any bread...a fancy bread.  I'll admit, this made me nervous because me and bread- making don't always get along.  And that's simple throw the dough in a pan bread. This is complex bread with a recipe that looked like there was a lot of room for user error. But of course I'm up for giving anything a shot.
After letting the bread double in size (I was worried mine hadn't risen enough, but went for it anyway) you divide it so that one piece is twice the size of the other...
Next, you braid the large piece
Then braid the small piece and attach to the large braid with an egg white mixture in between to stick them together.
After letting it rise again, brush with egg white and poppy seeds and bake.

 I was honestly shocked that it worked! It had a crusty outside and a soft, buttery-rich inside.  It was really good! The next night I used it to make garlic bread and it was perfect for that!
I'm glad I got to try something new...I'm getting braver with bread!
To check out the complete recipe, check out Jen's Blog!

3 comments:

  1. I had the same skepticism with this, but was happily surprised!! Your bread is really pretty, too. I loved the 'wow' factor!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bread, I would never be able to tell you were nervous, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks swell! I thought it was lots of fun too.

    ReplyDelete