Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Bake 52: Week 10

This week's pick was LUNCHBOX BROWNIES!
I knew I would love these because I've never met a brownie I didn't like love! This recipe was unlike any I've baked though because it used unsweetened chocolate, so I was a little worried about them being too bitter.  Once again, this book never leads astray because they were fantastic! The recipe had several variations, I chose the frosted ones - the frosting recipe was just chocolate chips (I opted to use milk chocolate rather than semi-sweet) and a little oil.  It was perfect. 2 ingredients - so simple and so delicious!
And have I mentioned how much I love the foil slings? They came out beautifully!
 I always feel like I am torturing my poor husband when I bake something that smells as irresistible as brownies!  When I noticed that this recipe only called for 2/3 cups of flour, I decided to try to make them gluten-free.  I did a mixture of rice flour and cornstarch (I normally would have blended rice flour and garbanzo bean flour because I love the way that bakes, but uncooked it makes for a very disgusting batter and I NEEDED some yummy brownie batter that day!).  I also added about 1 tsp. of unflavored gelatin and 1Tbs. of light mayo (this really helps the texture to be less crumbly and more moist).  They turned out perfect! I couldn't even tell that they were gluten-free.  SO delicious! And Kris loved them!
 To get the full recipe, visit LIZ'S BLOG!

7 comments:

  1. I am so glad you could make the gluten free and you all loved them! The look soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really have the gluten free thing down, those look so yummy! And I love you polka dot dessert holder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a gluten free wiz! That is so cool! They look amazing, I love the way that frosting looks. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm so impressed! I'm definitely passing this along to my GF peeps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thanks for enlightening me on gluten free baking. Interesting, do you do that with all our cooking/baking?

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great! I don't know much about gluten-free cooking, so that was interesting. Glad they worked out. The frosting looks divine! I also really love the polka-dot dessert plate... where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do I dare tell you that the polka-dot plate is actually my daughter's? It goes to her play confectionery set :)

      Delete