Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Bake 52: Week 1 - Cheese Quiche

 Yah!! Bake 52 has finally started - I am so excited to be a part of this this year!  The first  recipe up....

 QUICHE!
 

 I have never made quiche before. It turned out really good - the whole family liked it (which surprised me!).  I made my pie crust gluten free so that my husband could eat it and it worked out great.
I learned a great pie crust tip during this - in order to keep the crust from shrinking while baking, you par-bake it before filling with a double lining of foil (wrapped all around the edges so they don't burn) and fill it with baking weights or pennies. I used pennies and it really worked great - the crust held it's exact shape and stayed against the pie pan.  

The quiche filling was very simple to make.  Next time I make it I will add more ingredients - maybe ham, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes....but it was great! I'm glad I learned how to do this! It was a lot easier than I expected it to be and I'm so glad it actually turned out!
Check out the recipe as well as an easy pie crust recipe on Clare's Blog.

2 comments:

  1. It looks great! I wondered if you were going to make a gluten free crust, so glad you could adapt it for you hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your crust turned out so pretty looking!

    ReplyDelete