Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Gluten Free Pie Crust

I thought I would go ahead and add my recipe for the gluten free pie crust that I used on my quiche.  This is actually a really easy one, and unlike a lot of GF recipes, you can actually roll this dough out!  I was so excited about that the first time I made it.


Pie Crust from Special Diet Solutions by Carol Fenster
1 1/4 c white rice flour
1 c tapioca flour (not starch)
1 T sugar
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t xanthan gum
1/2 t salt
1/2 c shortening
1/4 c butter or margarine
1/4 c milk

Place dry ingredients in food processor and process until texture of large bread crumbs.  Add milk and process until mixture forms ball.  If not, add water - 1T at a time - until mixture forms ball.  Remove from food processor.
Split dough into two balls, wrap each in saran wrap and let sit in fridge for an hour or more.
Roll half of dough between two pieces of plastic wrap.  



To place in 8-inch pie plate, remove one piece of plastic wrap and invert carefully onto plate, centering dough over plate.  Remove remaining plastic wrap and press into plate.  If dough is difficult to handle, press entire bottom crust in place with your fingers. 



Fill crust with filling of choice. Roll remaining dough between floured sheets of plastic wrap.  Invert onto filled crust, centering crust on pie plate.  Push and pinch dough to fold ridge around rim of pie plate.  Optional: Brush top crust with milk or combination of 1 beaten egg white and 1 T water.  Sprinkle with sugar if desired.
Bake as your pie filling recipe directs - but watch to avoid burning.
I usually end up using this as two separate pie crusts.

1 comment:

  1. I was hoping you would post this! One of my sister-in-laws is now gluten free and I gave her your blog address the other day (I hope that's okay) but your pie crust looked so good for your quiche I wondered how you made it! Thanks for posting it. :)

    ReplyDelete